1. I talk to my rabbits... daily... I respect each of their unique personalities and celebrate them. Label them if you wish... cage protective, friendly, likes to be held, doesn't like to be picked up. No matter. They are all precious to me and deserve the same beautiful, spoiled life as any other animal.
2. I medicate them when needed through tiny ml tubes... or mix the meds with baby food if they prefer while petting them the whole time, letting them know I'll move Heaven and Hell to try to make them better.
3. I pet and talk and medicate the bunnies living under my wing in sanctuary, knowing they are not long for this world, but never letting them know how sad I am that they are about to leave me. I tell them about The Rainbow Bridge and the wonders that await them... All the while, staving off tears while I speak to them knowing that I'll cry in private later on.
4. When they pass from this world to the next, I cry and pray, knowing I'll think about them forever. I place flowers in their pen and have little headstones made to memorialize my friends.
5. I laugh when they binky and kiss their little noses when they jump into my lap and rejoice when they jump on the sofa and sprawl out to join me in a nap.
6. I watch my feet as they follow me to the frig to get a grape or carrot...they know they're about to be spoiled... again.
7. I wash "poopie butts" and brush until my fingers ache and trim hair and check ears and thumb through litter boxes checking "their business" and I do so gladly to keep them healthy and happy.
8. Hay is on my floor. Hay is in my hair. Hay is in my bed. Hay is on my furniture. Hay is in my car. My bunnies need hay to stay healthy... That's more important than clogged vacumes.
9. I wash rugs and towels for them daily and I'm covered in their hair most always. I call the hair little specks of love and no outfit is complete without them.
10. I have vet bills, food bills, medicine bills, website bills, credit card bills, membership bills... All for the bunnies and yes, I'm glad for it because I have them here safe and happy and not subject to the atrocities that face most rabbits.
11. ALMOST DAILY I deal with breeder calls, snake-food-seeking calls, comments about "rabbits being good eats", comments about my messy house (see #8), comments that state "She has too many animals!"... All the while the above mentioned people have NO idea what it truly means to have a rabbit as a friend and companion animal. It saddens me for their misinformed attitudes. What a joy and blessing my furry pals are!
I am a person... Living and breathing like the rabbits I love so much. I hurt when they hurt. I rejoice when they rejoice. I hold and protect them. I am a rabbit rescuer... I seek no approval, no praise... nothing. I simply am what I am making a tiny mark on the world but never doubting that the tiny mark makes a BIG difference!